Welcome to my blogspot where I am going to record and share all information about the adventures that I am going to have during the Spring 2014 semester as a student in ANTH 177 - Museum Methods.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Field Trip Statewide Museums Collection Center

Thank you Carrie and your friends at the center for a great tour.  I was truly overwhelmed by the immense size of that facility.  I particularly like seeing the baskets, especially the caps.  I love the way that they are set up and so well organized.

Do you think that we can borrow some of those awesome old steamship trunks for our exhibit? That would be such an elegant addition to conveying the time period that the Beardsleys had their adventures.

I also liked the muslin covered boxes that were used for display in the main lobby.  An attractive way to display small items without everything just sitting flat on a shelf.

2 comments:

  1. You are very welcome! I was happy to do it. As for the trunks, Jena sounded like it could be a possibility. If we decide to go that way, I'll look into finding a prop trunk (one SMCC doesn't have any provenience for). We also might be able to use their photography set up, though I don't know if I'm comfortable moving the large items. But it may be a possibility for all the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: the muslin covered boxes. That is certainly an option, if we can find the resources for it. I don't think there is much (any?) money available to us. I can always ask the SMCC curators if there are any left over materials from the exhibit that they would be willing to donate, but I'm not confident that there is any. We do have some exhibit furniture in the museum that is available for our use too.

    ReplyDelete